Are you looking to make a change to becoming a healthier you? One way is through exercise.*
According to the Mayo Clinic, “As a general goal, aim for at least 30 minutes of physical activity every day.” Exercise more than that if you want to lose weight, not merely maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Are you lacking in motivation? Forcing yourself to go to the gym when you don’t enjoy it is a sure way to lose motivation and then you may not exercise at all.
How you CAN motivate yourself better is by finding something you actually LIKE to do as an exercise.
Here are 10 ideas:
- Go on to YouTube and search “workout video” for countless free videos to do at home. Search more specifically to find exactly what you would like. “20 minute full body cardio workout” or even the name of someone in the exercise industry like “Jillian Michaels” will narrow your list down quite a bit.
- Take a hike! Go to a local forest preserve and do a little hiking.
- Sign up for a workout class at a local Park District.
- Take up running. If you’re not a runner, there are smartphone apps made for working you up to a run (usually timed intervals of walking and running). A fun favorite of mine is “Zombies, Run! 5K training”. Search “Couch to 5K” in your phone’s app store to find a free or paid one you might like.
- Get a membership at a boxing club. I recently joined Title Boxing Club the other day and it is the most fun and exhausting class workout I’ve ever done! 60 minutes of about 10 people hitting the heavy bag and doing bootcamp type of workouts between.
- Simply go for a walk. Try to go fast enough to keep your heartbeat a little higher than normal for best health benefit.
- Kayak. Kayaking seems to be the new craze – you can find companies on rivers in many towns where you can do it.
- Ride a bike. Go for a ride on a bike & walking path, in your subdivision or find a group of riders to go with.
- Play tennis. Many parks have tennis courts to use for free.
- Swim. Join the local YMCA, gym or Park District. Bonus points if they also have a hot tub.
Now you are on your way to improving your health with some easy forms of exercise. It’s up to you to take the action and actually do it!
*Note – I am no doctor – consult your general practitioner before trying any new exercise.